Unreal Scene Development

Audio for Scene:

I wanted to add a personal touch to the scene and add original music. I play guitar so I wanted to incorporate this skill into my project somehow, so I learned a slow fingerstyle song and played it on my guitar, and recorded it. The song I played should complement the peaceful and tranquil mood which I aim to create from the scene. The tempo is slow and the song is in an acoustic fingerpicking guitar style. The music will help add emotion to my artifact and deepen the connection with the audience.

I found an audio file for a bird sound effect. Available HERE

Unreal Scene Building Video:

What have I learned?
  • How to add assets into a project in the Unreal Library
  • How to start a project in Unreal
  • How to build a landscape
  • Using the Brushify pack to paint the landscape
  • Adding Layer Blend Files
  • Using the Brushify alpha texture brushes to sculpt a terrain
  • Adding foliage
  • Adding 3D assets into Unreal
  • Creating ponds/ lakes using water plains
  • Material IDs and texture maps
  • Post-processing and Lighting
  • Adding fog
  • Cinematic cameras in Unreal
  • Level Sequence Editor
  • Editing and recording a cinematic sequence
What did I find challenging?

What I found the most challenging was getting everything to load correctly and ensuring that I could create the scene similar to my artistic vision. I also found a few technical issues with finding the tools due to the updated version of Unreal. Although I managed to figure it out in the end with help of watching tutorials and the videos of my previous work, and generally practicing and exploring within the software.

What can I do to improve?

To improve this, I could learn how to create reflections on the water plains and make the lanterns flicker to add more depth to the details. I could also learn how to animate flying birds in the air.

What do I like about it?

I really like the way this turned out, the post-processing and exponential height fog made a massive impact on the finished artifact. It adds a realistic and beautiful effect that compliments the intentions of building a digital meditation space.